Wednesday, August 12, 2009

2:59:59



The goal this year was three hours. At 2:59:59 I crossed the line bloodied, bruised, and dirty, but I did it, putting your head down for a split second can have disastrous results. At about the 20 mile mark I was working with two other guys when after my pull I found myself getting dropped. Looked down to take a few hard pedal strokes to catch on and then I was in the back of them. That awful sound of tire on tire and then bam my head and shoulder augering into the gravel road. Nobody wants to be that guy, luckily I did not take any of the others down with me. I sat for a few dazed seconds and then I was back on and chasing the group I just crashed out of. After drilling it and not gaining I started to get caught from behind. It was nice to see Rick Walls and Russel Jobs just catching me at Misery Hill. We rode together until the road climb and I was off. I could see Rick and Russel sitting up to let me catch on but I just couldn't bridge on the climb. Then I was alone picking off a few riders on the way to the finish. I kept calculating in my head how fast I needed to keep driving to get to the finish in 3 hours but with 2 miles to go the cramps set in and I did not think I would make it. As the seconds ticked down a guy on a single speed came by me and pulled me to the line. Thank you whoever you were 2:59:59. 103rd overall.
We had a great weekend Chasity and Niki rode the Soft Rock and had a good race, Brian finished somewhere in the top 75 on his first attempt at the Hard Rock. Lisa and Ryan made the podium in the Hard Rock and Terry had a great first attempt at 156 overall. It was cool to see Monica do the Junior Rock for the first time, there were over 120 kids participating.
Next year top 100 for sure

No comments:

Post a Comment